|The Right Way To Store
Tools & Guides
It really does not matter how long or where are you planning to store your belongings, but you really want them safe and secure. In order to do that, you need to do a couple of things. The tips below will give you information on how to pack your things properly, how to place the things in storage, what are the things that cannot be stored and such other ideas that you will find helpful.
Protecting Your Stored Items
Furniture: It is wise to put either a plastic cover or a blanket on your furniture and also on the floor of your Storage Unit. However, it is better to have it ready before the move-in day.
Small Items: The best way to store your small and medium - sized items is to put them in boxes. You can use cartons or plastic boxes of different sizes for your clothes, kitchen staff, tools etc.
Itemization: Keep a list of the items that you stored. Remember to include all the items in your list along with a description.
Rugs: Clean your Rugs & Draperies and store them as if they have just returned from the cleaner.
Storage Walls: It is good if you can keep some space between the goods stored and the storage unit walls.
Lock: Use a good lock on your Storage Unit Door.
Rust: While storing your Tools & Bikes use a Rust Protector.
Moisture: Moisture might cause damage to your Freezer and Refrigerator. Keep them as dry and clean as possible to protect them from moisture.
Dust: Protect your large items from dust accumulation; so cover your sofas, mattresses and chairs with light plastic cover.
Insurance: Insure all your goods before storage. Check with your insurance agent if required.
Choosing A Storage Facility
- Before choosing Storage, check how far it is from where you stay. If you need to regularly drop and pick up things, then it is better to choose somebody near your home.
- Check for the facilities like Smoke Alarm, Sprinklers and Security Device before going for the storage.
- While storing you might need to move heavy items like large-screen TV, hot tubs. See if such there is any extra storage facility for these services.
- Dissemble all items that can be dissembled.
- Stack the chairs seat-to-seat.
- Put the smaller items and boxes inside any of your belongings and furniture.
- If you can not dissemble a table, put its top down with the legs pointed upwards.
Do Not Store These
- Never store Flammable matters like Fireworks, Acids, Aerosol Cans, Ammunitions and Matches.
- Make sure that the entire fluid is drained from Gasoline Powered Equipments.
- Do not store Hazardous, Toxic and Pressurized Materials including Fuels and Aerosols.
- Dispose all partly used cans of oil, paint and other substances that might leak.
- Do not store perishable food items.
- Do not place sharp and heavy items on top of upholstered.