How to Move Specialty Items
|When planning a relocation, your most valuable, fragile, and/or cumbersome items are a major concern. Ensuring these specialty items are properly prepared for shipment and transported with care is important to prevent costly damage. Read on for helpful tips on moving your specialty items for your upcoming move!
What are specialty items?
Specialty items are belongings that require special care, disassembly, or packing procedures to ensure they are not damaged during transit. They are also often items of extreme value or fragility.
Some examples include:
- Artwork (Paintings, sculpture, etc.)
- Grandfather clocks
- Pool tables
- Outdoor structures (such as sheds, gazebos, or playsets)
Hiring specialty movers
The best way to get your special items to their destination is to hire specialty movers. Specialty movers are companies that specialize in the handling and transport of specific items--such as piano movers or pool table movers. These companies employ crews that are trained to handle these items, and have the experience to do so expertly. While allowing your regular movers to handle the items will likely be cheaper, they may not have the skills or know-how to ship specialty belongings safely.
Ask the right questions
When hiring movers to transport specialty items, there are many important questions to ask to ensure they are qualified and experienced. You should always receive an on-site estimate so a representative from the removal company can view your items, answer your questions, and provide you with the most accurate quote possible.
Some important questions to ask include:
- How much experience do you have moving [the items]? Some specialty items, such as pool tables and grandfather clocks, require very specific measures for disassembly and packing. You want to ensure the company is expertly skilled at moving your specific item to ensure it arrives at your new home without damage.
- What are the added fees? Specialty items may require certain services or materials that incur additional fees to the standard moving rate. When receiving your estimate, be sure to ask the mover about any added costs for preparing, wrapping, and moving your specialty item.
- What are you credentials? Before hiring a removal company, it's important to make sure they are reliable and trustworthy. Make sure the company is properly licensed to operate in your state, and find out if they have any important affiliations, such as the Australian Furniture Removers Association (AFRA).
If you're moving specialty items, they are likely both delicate and valuable. Making sure you have adequate insurance coverage in case of damage is important. Many removal companies offer very minimal insurance coverage with their services, so you may have to purchase an additional policy through a third-party carrier. Be sure to ask your removal company about their insurance options prior to enlisting their services.