Moving Overseas Checklist
based on 1 visitor(s)
|Any overseas move requires a considerable amount of planning and organisation. Keeping track of all the important details becomes very tiresome. To help you to get through the process, keep a detailed checklist and stay on top of your overseas move planning!
8 Weeks To Go
- Compare quotes from international movers to choose the best one for your move.
- Make plans for shipping your vehicle with international auto shippers. Find out customs regulations in your new home country by contacting the consulate to make sure you will be permitted to import your vehicle and find out the applicable duties.
- Book your moving date.
- If yo have pets, consider your options for transporting them. Contact your new country's consulate to find out the requirements for importing a pet through customs, and make an appointment with your vet to get the proper vaccinations and documents (such as a Health Certificate). Contact your airline to make arrangements for traveling with your pet.
- Make the necessary arrangements with the insurance company to protect your goods.
- Transfer bank accounts and talk to your consultants about transferring funds.
- Prepare a list of all those who will need to be informed of your address change.
6 Weeks To Go
- Confirm the moving details with your international movers.
- Collect required Packing Boxes.
- Prepare an inventory of your possessions.
- Fill in a mail redirection form at the post office.
- Make sure your passport is up-to-date.
- Make all necessary travel arrangements--flights, hotel stays, etc.
4 Weeks To Go
- Inform all concerned parties of your change of address.
- Notify your credit card company of the move. Cancel credit cards if needed.
- Cancel magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
- Collect medical records from doctors and arrange for transfer for any ongoing treatment records and drug prescriptions.
- Arrange a garage sale to get rid of excess belongings--shipping stuff overseas can get expensive! You can also donate unwanted items to charity.
- Contact your movers to finalize details.
2 Weeks To Go
- Pack all important documents together in an easily accessible place (including your passport and visa) so that you don’t forget them later.
- Call the phone company and arrange for the phone lines to be disconnected once you leave. Do the same with your utility companies.
- Arrange for electric, phone, cable and gas connections in your new home overseas.
1 Week To Go
- Dispose of all flammable and hazardous items.
- Keep a change of clothes and toiletries handy for the first day.
- Make arrangements for kids with a babysitter on moving day.
- Keep toilet paper, a first aid kit, bottled water, snacks and some rags handy.
- Get your car tuned.
1 Day To Go
- Empty your refrigerator, clean it and let it defrost.
- Prepare the payment for your movers and keep it somewhere secure.
- Keep travelers' checks handy for other possible expenses.
- Make sure all luggage is packed and ready to go for your flight.
The Moving Day
- Double check the delivery address with the movers.
- Before leaving the house, make sure all doors and windows are properly locked.
- Check the basement, cupboards, garage, and closets.
- Turn of all taps and switch of all lights.