Moving Tips Checklist
based on 2 visitor(s)
With proper planning and organisation, moving is a simple and quick process. The following checklist of moving tasks will ensure your move is smooth and successful form start to finish!
Before your move
- Arrange a garage sale to get rid of excess junk and lighten your load before moving!
- Make sure you have all the proper packing supplies (boxes, bubble wrap, tape, etc). You can also buy these materials from the moving company, but it may be cheaper to acquire them yourself.
- Plan a parking space for the moving company to load and unload your belongings (at both your old and new homes). The further they have to walk, the longer will it take, and sometimes movers charge extra fees for "long carries".
- Do not apply special cleaning or maintenance products to your furniture such a oils or wax for a couple of weeks before you move. They may softer the wood and make it more susceptible to damage.
- Unplug your television before the day you move. This actually helps the television settle down to room temperature, so that it does not cause any internal damage while moving.
- If your building or apartment has any alarm system, let the movers know before hand.
- If your new home has an alarm system, ask for its code before you enter the house.
- Try to get a good sleep on the night before you move.
- Do not leave the things for last minute--a rushed move is never a stress-free move!
- Make sure you are fully packed by moving day!
- Pack from least important to most important--boxing up your least used belongings first and saving your everyday essentials for last.
- Set deadlines for yourself to finish each room and stick to a schedule to make sure packing is completed on time.
- Pack your boxes with a combination of heavy and light items.
- Never use foam ‘peanuts’ to pack a computer. This can generate static electricity and cause harm to your machine.
- Wrap fragile items in newspaper.
- Do a last walk around your old house before you leave to make sure you haven;t forgotten anything.
- Write “Open First “on the boxes that contain the essential items and “Do Not Move” on the boxes that you are planning to carry yourself.
- If any of your boxes contain fragile items, mark them clearly and also inform the movers so that they take extra care.
On moving day
- If you are carrying boxes of heavy items, never bend your back, but your knees.
- Before your movers arrive, try to stack all your boxes and containers at the corner of the room and leave the room to the movers. This will speed up their process of moving.
- Make sure that someone is in the new house before the movers arrive to take care of the unloading.
- It is a nice gesture to offer your movers cold drinks and lunch while they are working. Cash tips are also often appreciated.
- Give your mover your cell phone number, so that they can keep in touch with you when ever it is required.
- If you find that any of your belongings or your home is damaged by the movers, inform them immediately.
After your move
- Make sure your entire inventory has arrived before signing a bill of lading--if you discover a box has been lost after signing, it can be difficult to file a claim.
- Plug-in electrical items only after they reach room temperature.
- Let your friends and families know that you have arrived safely.
- Don't put off unpacking--begin by opening your essentials boxes so you can settle into your new home quickly and seamlessly.
- Check for any damage to your belongings or home from the movers. Some moving companies give you a limited time to make a claim for compensation.
Other things to remember
- Remove the glass shelves from all furniture before moving.
- Defrost and clean your fridge and freezers at least 24 hours before the move,
- Bundle together mops, brooms, skies and garden tools so that they can be found easily.
- Leave linens and folded clothes in dresser drawers.
- Carry jewelry, valuable or fragile items, currency, documents, pets, and other irreplaceable valuables with you.
- Mark all boxes with their contents--especially boxes containing essential articles.
- Plan to eat out or order your meal from outside for the first night!